Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rhymes with Cheddar


Oh, how I love Eddie Vedder. A man of many amazing musical collaborations, in my opinion, and I discovered a new band of his a few weeks ago. I am a Girl Talk fan and about 2 minutes and 30 seconds into their song "Play Your Part" off the Feed the Animals album, I've been hearing this awesome, addictive guitar melody and I decided that I had to find out what song it really was. To my surprise and joy, it was a song called "Hunger Strike" by Temple of the Dog, for which Eddie Vedder did vocals. Now, maybe I'm crazy, but I don't believe I've ever heard of this song or this band before, but I love it...and yes, it just has this amazing guitar melody throughout.

According to Wikipedia (Great source...I know, right?), David Fricke of Rolling Stone said, "Cornell and Vedder...turn its four minutes into a veritable opera of rock-star guilt...Cornell turns on the Robert Plant-style napalm full blast, but it is Vedder's scorched introspection that brings the conscience in the song to a full boil. "Hunger Strike" was his first starring vocal on record; it is still one of his best."

Well said, David Fricke. Well said. And without further adieu, here is the awesome 80s music video to go along with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment